Most people have probably heard of design thinking. But unfortunately, not a good number of them can quickly tell what design thinking means. Currently, design thinking is one of the most popular catch phrases that you can quickly come across them, outlined in articles and even in the news.
The business and academic sectors are doing more than just research in cracking the real meaning of this phrase. To mention, a lot of written materials by experienced authors all over the world have tried to explain the logic behind design thinking. People around the globe especially most of the service designers, agencies that deal with creative activities, career coaches, specialized people in training and most of the facilities are applying it into their day to day life.
Possibly, you are also utilizing it in most of your day to day activities. From the time it was initiated into artificial science by the famous Simon herbet in 1969, the design thinking has done wonders especially in improving the business ideas, the education sector, the innovation processes, the designing of the products and services and also the human perspective.
Design thinking is gaining popularize because of the way it focuses on the needs of people globally creating a link between its users and their customers. This is helping the markets to get to understand the challenges facing them. It is also enabling many products and services to be of more use to the buyers.
Many people do confuse design thinking with just like any other kit in that help in the smooth running of activities. On the contrary, design thinking comes with a variety of phases that can be backed-up by other businesses to bring out the meaning of the designing processes.
Best Tools for Each Design Thinking Process
For you to attain better results, achieve personal goals tor even thrive as a team while improving the world to a better place, you first have to embrace design thinking. One good thing is that design thinking tools are nowadays accessible to most industries and at any experience level, making it easier to access them. You can quickly get the benefits of design thinking by merely applying the approach of following these design tools.
An empathy map is simply a worksheet that is mostly used to conduct an empathetic interview of an experience or a problem. It helps to emphasize with your clients or stakeholders on their skills, their wants or needs mostly from their point of view.
Supporting Tools for Empathy
Being the initial stage in design thinking, it requires you to understand your clients as much as possible, making sure to have collected enough information from them. This technic enables you to focus more on your client than their statements concerning the statement. The following are the best tools that make the empathy process to be a success.
1. Zoom: in some cases, you may find yourself in a situation where you can’t have a direct conversation with your clients. This requires you to have perfect and precise video conferencing gadgets. Zooming ensures that you have reliable quality audio or video. It also stabilizes issues that may arise from invisibility familiar with most video conferencing gadgets Zoom comes as a full package with features ranging from programming calls, a first dial-in number and the ability to record video and audio even in poor networking setting or when you are on a free service scheme.
2. Type form: This technic has done the work to be more comfortable than before. It has transformed the task that involved the manual creation of questionnaires and styles to a simple and easy to use interface. The real combinations that come along with the system help you to save on time to given that you can easily program responses to reach the slack and be recorded in the Google sheet simultaneously.
3. Creatlr: empathy has also led to the introduction of modern tools that can enhance the quick proper way of organizing information. Creartlr is a program that enables you to easily organize your thoughts on the same page by making them visual and easy to browse through.
You can smoothly go through the empathy maps customer journey maps and back to the stockholder’s analysis simultaneously. It is also designed to help you in choosing a specific template and organizing the data collected during your research in supporting your design methods.
Design Thinking Solution That Supports Defining
The first empathy stage involves the collecting of information from your clients, analyzing their needs and at the same time identifying their problems. This is when the defining tool comes in to ensure that you fully understand the issues. It enables you to come up with the personas. More so, you can quickly outline the roles and integrate the needs with the main points to the different types of clients.
This will enable you to observe the various trends that will arise and sum up multiple problems into one major problem. It also comes with numerous components, as outlined below.
1. Smaply: This tool majorly helps you in making sure that you easily cope up with the experience of your clients. It enables you to come up with the clients’ journey maps, stakeholders, and personas maps and also present them effectively. One thing that makes it outstanding is that it provides an excellent platform for a whole persona and stakeholder editor that helps in describing the best persona for you.
2. Userforge: It is designed to help you in coming up with more detailed and accurate buyers. It takes work to be more comfortable than when using design software. The program is easy to use given that you can share to your buyer directly through URL as compared to the tiresome procedure of inviting them. It’s user-friendly as it does not require specialized skills in operating it.
3. MakeMyPersona: This is simply another fantastic feature that guides in creating information that concerns your buyer. It quickly takes you through nineteen basic questions that involve vital aspects that build up your client. That can, therefore, be downloaded via emails into the word form.
Important Aspects of Ideation
This is a stage that requires you to come up with the answers relating to your problem statement. At this stage, you’re no longer needed to find the best solutions. It is a point that instead requires you to come up with as many answers, and resolutions as your ability can provide. This can be made possible through critical thinking and other ideation methods.
The comprehensive library comes with over six hundred simplified sessions Lab that will expose you to various ideation methods. The methods range from brainwriting to 3-12-3 brainstorm; you are also most likely to come across suitable standalone activities and finish the workshop templates to allow your ideas to flow to your team. It only requires to create an account by signing up, giving access to your library tools.
Whiteboard applications are more realistic, especially when you want a site for brainstorming online with your staff. For gathering, organizing, and choose the most prioritized ideas, storm board comes in with its abilities to run sticky notes on various templates, allowing your staff to compare and evaluate ideas and firm reporting choices.
Idea flip: when it comes to brainstorming, be it when you are alone or with your staff, ideaflip is the best tool for you. It comes with the ability to enable each one of you to add his or her ideas, making it easy and more first in cases when you have to make decisions.
By the time you’re at this stage, you are most likely to have come up solutions or some features that you will probably want to put to the test. Your prototypes don’t have to be of high quality or standards or even functional. The central concept is to come up with the best prototype that is in good shape and a position to show a specific feature or functioning mode.
Tools for Prototyping Apps
Boards: This tool comes with a lot of abilities. It permits you to test your pictures and gifs, voiceover and also rewriting the existing frames. With access to an animation application, you are in a position to come up with animation from your structures and sounds.
Mockingbird: when it comes to prototyping and wireframe applications, mocking bird quickly solves your puzzle. It comes with various advantages to ranging from the dragging and dropping of the UI, connecting different mockups to make it look more attractive. It also enhances link sharing hence making teamwork to be easy.
Pop: are you use in making animation, well the pop comes to do the work to be easier than you ever thought. It only involves you taking some snaps or pictures, and the application joins them, giving a fantastic prototype. The most important feature of the pop is that it grants you permission to share out your work and later on receive feedback.
This feature plays a significant role when it comes to testing your final product or service. At this stage, information collected through testing may improve the problem statement or other features. This makes the design thinking to more very essential. Just like other features, the testing application comes with additional characteristics that make it more user-friendly. They include
- UserTesting.com: This application is designed to help you understand every move that each tester of yours take. This is simply through recording. You are only required to select your users depending on what you need to test. It can either be a website or a mobile application
- Hotjar; this is also one of the essential tools in testing. Their work involves collecting all the data on the conversation, identifying where most people are clicking and also how they are moving about on your site. They are also programmed to give you instant feedback from your clients and feedback polls to recognize the kind of issues being faced by your clients.
- PingPong; it is a user-research application where you can easily find testers in huge number. The app is designed to select the best testers for you automatically. This enables you to set interviews which can also be recorded to be analyzed later during your free time.
Design Thinking Tools for the Complete Process
The design thinking process is provided with flexible applications and online software’s that can support you throughout the whole process. These tools are divided into two types; the ones designed in guiding you as you move through each step and the adaptable but general solution such as the collaborative online boards. They are also subdivided into the following
- SprintBase: It is a fantastic application with well-designed and integrated software’s that have got abilities that range from practical resources to developed innovation skills. The app is also supported by a stable structure and functionality that carefully guides you through the whole process of your workflow. It is very different from a generic whiteboarding platform. This is because it has a unique ability to educating the new users on how they can do a good innovation through its readily available tutorials and also templates.
- Invision: This application is slightly different from other platforms. This is because of its ability not only to concentrate on a digital product but also being an outstanding tool for users who are continually searching for inspiration, rearranging the information, designing ideas, and prototypes.
They come in a pair, mainly the Mural and the Miro. Both of them are designed in providing a visual partnership for most staffs. This can be achieved by sampling creating a realistic whiteboard, work on it with both sticky notes and a free hand drawing, and the bright, structured information for a designed process.
You can also go through over five hundred tools and resources on the public design vault. The site will provide you with the needed information on design work ranging from sort cards, toolkits, and podcasts.
We hope that the tools discussed above will help you in coming up with impressive and amazing user-friendly products and services for the human race and the whole world. You are also advised to make sure that you check on our frequent posts on the best online tools for workshops. You will be able to be updated on the most recent improvements in design thinking tools.